Thread: Request NWA Simulator that was suspended from the rafters

Default Request NWA Simulator that was suspended from the rafters

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the flight simulator that was owned by Northwest Airlines? This simulator was suspended from the ceiling and operated much like a puppet.

Rudy

Cool suspended from rafters

I worked with a team at the Pan Academy who relocated a simulator from Pan AM in New York, that hung from towers and used cables to move it back and forth. I think it is still in the Pan American Academy in Miami, Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by scaldw3600 View Post
    I worked with a team at the Pan Academy who relocated a simulator from Pan AM in New York, that hung from towers and used cables to move it back and forth. I think it is still in the Pan American Academy in Miami, Fl.
    Never saw a sim like that at Pan Am in MIA. At least in the last 17 or so years. UAL and AA used to have DC-10 Sims that were mounted from A-frame structures. The actuators were above the sims, not underneath. They said that these sims gave better yaw cues than conventional hexapod arrangements. The problem was that any leg leaks ended up with hydraulic fluid in the sim instead of on the floor.

Default correct, when re-installed in Maimi PANAM Academy, it was put on a floor mounted base

Quote Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
    Never saw a sim like that at Pan Am in MIA. At least in the last 17 or so years. UAL and AA used to have DC-10 Sims that were mounted from A-frame structures. The actuators were above the sims, not underneath. They said that these sims gave better yaw cues than conventional hexapod arrangements. The problem was that any leg leaks ended up with hydraulic fluid in the sim instead of on the floor.
    Yes, the team from New York, put it on a floor mounted hydraulic base. One of the old New York team would often tell of having to lubricate the cables and tower mechanical hardware.

What aircraft was it?

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousPowrdSS View Post
    What aircraft was it?

The ones I know of were DC-10s.

Video of one in AA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkz6-DrDeUU
    Last edited by ssobol; 07-29-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
    The ones I know of were DC-10s.

Video of one in AA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkz6-DrDeUU

That was what I understood as well. Im kind of surprised that FedEx didnt end up with one. We went through a couple of different periods where we LOVED buying old simulators and refurbing them.