Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any pictures of link F4C,RF4C, or F4D simulators?

Default Any pictures of link F4C,RF4C, or F4D simulators?

Does anyone have any pictures of the link F4C,RF4C, or F4D simulators, especially inside the cabinets? Whenever I attempt to explain how these beasts worked all I get is blank stares from the kids ( kids = just about everyone under 50). Thank you.

Default Old Link Trainers

Quote Originally Posted by LBLUNTX View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of the link F4C,RF4C, or F4D simulators, especially inside the cabinets? Whenever I attempt to explain how these beasts worked all I get is blank stares from the kids ( kids = just about everyone under 50). Thank you.
    Heck with the pictures, try to explain to them what an ESRD is, or how about a DAFG, or a DDP? Loved working on those old beasts (actually on the 111D sims).

Egyptian
    Takeoffs are optional -- LANDINGS ARE MANDATORY

Quote Originally Posted by Egyptian View Post
    Heck with the pictures, try to explain to them what an ESRD is, or how about a DAFG, or a DDP? Loved working on those old beasts (actually on the 111D sims).

Egyptian
    ESRD = Electro-syncro resolver driver (drove the instruments), DAFG = Digital arbritary Function Generator (flight curves, etc), DDP = If I remember correctly it was the Digital data processor but I've slept since then. But those were from the digital age, kinda, but servos, syncros, resolvers, mag-amps, and shaped and padded pots are even harder to explain, not to mention the "wizz bang, wizz bang" noise you heard from the Analog F4 flights cabinets about 5 - 10 minutes after turning it on.

Default New Test

ESRD = Electro-syncro resolver driver (drove the instruments), DAFG = Digital arbritary Function Generator (flight curves, etc), DDP = If I remember correctly it was the Digital data processor but I've slept since then. But those were from the digital age, kinda, but servos, syncros, resolvers, mag-amps, and shaped and padded pots are even harder to explain, not to mention the "wizz bang, wizz bang" noise you heard from the Analog F4 flights cabinets about 5 - 10 minutes after turning it on.
    You got 3 out of 4, it is a Digital Data Preselector. Good memory. We used to fix those cards to the component level. Now, they just throw the board away and put in a new one. Now, here is todays quiz. What is MECL? Did you ever run 2 GP4Bs with Memory Drive? That made some strange noises.

Egyptian

Egyptian

MECL = Motorola Emitter Coupled Logic. The GP4s I worked on,F4E and RF4C, used MECL II.

Default Age

MECL = Motorola Emitter Coupled Logic. The GP4s I worked on,F4E and RF4C, used MECL II.
    You have to be damn near as old as I am. While I should retire, I am having to much fun to do that. I have a great job, pays is a little better than OK and I am not working all that hard. Been here for a year, and we are still getting base passes once in a while.

Did the F4s have a DTG? Test for today!!!

Egyptian

The only ones I worked on were in plant and we were not allowed cameras in there. We had a RF-4C and a F-4G, both had been upgraded from the GP4 to the 32/27s, so much nicer in those days. I love to see some pics of the best and the hut they were installed in.

Default Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by cooch56 View Post
    The only ones I worked on were in plant and we were not allowed cameras in there. We had a RF-4C and a F-4G, both had been upgraded from the GP4 to the 32/27s, so much nicer in those days. I love to see some pics of the best and the hut they were installed in.
    Don't feel bad Cooch, I spent 4 years on the F111s, and never did get a picture. They were both in secure bays and the branch chief watchover them like a hawk.

Egyptian

Default The 111's did

I believe a Digital Target Generator.
    I have the best job. One I enjoy doing.

Quote Originally Posted by woodchopper View Post
    I believe a Digital Target Generator.
    Damn, you are good, and probably as old as I am also. Now, to think up some more accient Link Trivia. Watch for more later

Egyptian